Position available: Communications Manager
NDP Caucus Office
To manage media and public relations and support stakeholder engagement for the NL NDP Caucus.
Reporting to the Chief of Staff, NL NDP Caucus Office, this position is responsible for planning, delivering, and evaluating communications activities to support the work of the Leader, MHAs and the Caucus. This position will be accountable for developing annual and multi-year communications plans for the Caucus, managing media relations, advising Caucus on emerging news issues and the effective communication of policies and priorities of the Caucus.
Specific responsibilities include:
• Develop news releases, social media content, direct mail pieces, website content, and other communication materials
• Establish and maintain relationships with provincial print and broadcast media
• Solicit media opportunities and respond to media requests
• Advise Caucus on effective communications and issue management strategies/activities leveraging social media platforms, mainstream media, advertising, and public relations
• Prepare and support Caucus members for media interviews/responses
• Manage content on website, social media platforms, and other communications vehicles
• Organize news conferences and other special events and outreach activities
• Manage media monitoring and media analytics
• Coordinate and support community and stakeholder engagement activities
• Strong and varied writing skills are critical in this role. You must have a firm handle on several different types of writing including news releases, speeches, letters, and social media posts – crafting messages that are powerfully written to connect with target audiences
• The ability to quickly and effectively synthesize information on tight deadlines
• The ability to prioritize work in a fast-paced political office
• Strong interpersonal communications skills and organizational skills
• Solid understanding and a high degree of comfort and proficiency using and managing social media platforms
• Familiarity with digital best practices
• Ability to proactively identify media opportunities and capitalize on them
• A commitment to building a progressive Newfoundland and Labrador that works for the many; not the few
• Familiarity with government and current provincial issues and NDP policy/positions
• Post-secondary education in Communications, Public Relations or Journalism or other related field. An equivalent combination of relevant experience and education will be considered
• Comfortable working in community/public settings in a facilitation or organizing role
• Must be able to accommodate some evening and weekend work as needed
This position is considered intermediate level. Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. To be considered for the position, candidates should clearly demonstrate in their resume that they meet the requirements and qualifications of the position.
If your interests and qualifications match what we are looking for, please email your resume with a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions regarding the position, please contact Mona Rossiter at MonaRossiter@gov.nl.ca.
While all interest is appreciated, only applicants chosen for an interview will be contacted.
Closing date is August 1, 2017.