Rogers pushes premier on Women’s Centres’ funding; gets welcome response
Funding for the province’s eight Women’s Centres runs out tomorrow, March 31. Until Question Period today, there had been no indication from government to the centres’ boards whether they could expect funding to continue in fiscal year 2015-16, let alone how much that funding might be.
NDP Critic for the Status of Women Gerry Rogers (MHA, St. John’s Centre) was appalled that all the good work done by the Women’s Centres is being threatened by government’s refusal to commit.
“In many parts of the province, Women’s Centres are the only places that help women deal with sexual assault, sexual harassment, and domestic violence. They support women and their children with housing, employment, mental health, food and clothing,” Rogers said in the House of Assembly today.
“Their funding cycle ends tomorrow – tomorrow! – and yet no one from your government has assured them of their core funding. Some don’t know how they will pay their rent or their staff come Wednesday.
“I ask the Premier will he immediately guarantee the Women’s Centres their core funding and that it not be reduced this year?”
Rogers was satisfied to hear from the premier that core funding for Women’s Centres will remain intact. She says government should contact the centres with this guarantee, and is hopeful that the many, many other groups in similar circumstances will also hear soon about the future of the funding that enables their vital community work.