Sanction without debate a “farce,” says Michael
NDP Leader Lorraine Michael (MHA, Signal Hill-Quidi Vidi) blasted government today for putting show before substance in its Muskrat Falls announcement; she also had questions about a multi-million purchase from Manitoba Hydro.
“The pomp and circumstance around government potentially announcing their sanctioning of the Muskrat Falls project is a farce. We have a media advisory going out at 11 p.m. on a Sunday night and then announcements at 6 p.m. outside the regular sitting hours of the House of Assembly,” Michael said in the House today.
“This is outrageous behaviour by the Premier and her government – refusing to give the House the opportunity to question the sanctioning. Refusing to have issues discussed and questioned in the House shows disrespect for the legislature.
“I ask the premier what is she so afraid of that she has to maintain complete control of the process? What is she keeping secret?”
Last week, Michael asked the Minister of Natural Resources how much Nalcor paid Manitoba Hydro International, who government hired as consultants to appraise the Muskrat Falls project, for a work camp. She received that answer from the minister last night via e-mail.
“The cost of the work camp purchased by government for the Muskrat Falls project from Manitoba Hydro was $4.7 million,” Michael said in the House today. “Bill 29 ensures government does not need to let people know what their money has been spent on for the Muskrat Falls project.
“I ask the Minster of Natural Resources, was the government tendering process followed? Will the minister provide this House with documents to show how this transaction was completed?”